The mission of the Friends of the Battleship North Carolina is to support the Battleship North Carolina and to promote and perpetuate activities relating to the Ship.
The Battleship receives no funding from federal, state or local governments for its operations. The Friends, as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, acts as the fundraising arm for the Battleship (a copy of our IRS Form 990 is available upon request) The Ship’s primary revenue source is generated from admissions, gift shop sales, rentals, donations, Friends memberships, and other activities.
The Friends also offer paid tours of the Battleship using certified tour guides and supports the daily visitors through the use of Ambassadors. For those interested in being more involved with the Battleship, the Friends can provide tour guide and ambassador training.
Lastly, to educate the public about the Battleship and the Friends organization, the Friends undertake community outreach to varied organizations.
The Friends of the Battleship North Carolina are proud to support the Museum Department with funding to assist, promote, and perpetuate educational and restoration efforts of the Ship.
Some of the projects funded by the Friends include:
· Restoration of the forward Ship's bell
· Reinterpretation of the Ship's Store, 2nd deck tour route
· Legacy of the NORTH CAROLINA exhibit gallery, visitor's center
· Reinterpretation of Turret #2-gun house
· Restoration of the 26-foot Motor Whaleboat
· Bridge restoration to replace missing furnishings
· Custom models of the ships named NORTH CAROLINA
· Acquisition and conservation of an 1827 painting of the Ship-of-the-Line NORTH CAROLINA